Sunday, June 8, 2014

Running Reflection: June 2nd - 8th

Every year, my students and I hold an end of the year event for my entire program (ie: all four of my classes of kids). We invite our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and siblings, principals, teachers; anyone and everyone interested in seeing what the kids got up to in our classroom every week.

The day before the event, I always camp out at my parents' house after school and my mom and I bake 6-8 of our famous jello cakes. These cakes are always by request: my students are in my program for multiple years, so they always ask, "Are you going to make those cakes again, Ms. H?"

The next day, I have parent volunteers (along with my amazingly helpful and generous parents) come to school right after the kids get out to set up the commons. We put up all of the student work (in this case, original invention prototypes/models and a tri-fold posterboard describing the process to create said model). Every year we have over 200 guests at the event, and every year I am so so proud of the work my students share.

The reason I'm sharing this prior to my running reflection is that I didn't get my desired number of workouts in, this week. I knew it going into the week, and while past Amy would've gotten stressed about how it would impact my training and my weigh-ins, this year I wasn't worried about it. I'm becoming more confident in my body's ability to adapt and deal with a few missed workouts, and that is something I need to celebrate.

Preferably without jello cake. :)

Here's how my week of training went:

  • Monday: Jello Cake Baking Madness!
KraftRecipes.com (I always forget to snap a shot before digging in!)
  • Tuesday: Invention Convention

  • Wednesday: Confession: I was so beat after Tuesday's insanity that I went home, watched two episodes of Chicago PD, and fell asleep.
  • Thursday: 4.00 miles / 8:20 pace. Forced myself to finally get moving after hosting  (and cleaning up after) a colleague's retirement party. So glad I got this workout in.
  • Friday: Instead of working out... Mom and I went to "Once" at the Paramount Theater in Seattle.
I pretty much spent the whole time wishing I were back in Dublin. #wanderlustproblems
  • Saturday: Here's where the workouts got impressive! A few friends and I hiked Mt. Pilchuck (5.4 miles, 2200 ft elevation gain) on Saturday morning! The first half was beautiful wooded trails, the second half was a fairly steep snow ascent. Yaktraks were definitely needed.
Typical apple-in-mouth pose!

Panoramic view at the top! We had 360 views from Mt. Baker, west to the Olympics, south to Rainier, and east to the Cascades. Remarkable.

First glissading attempt! For more awesome hiking photos, check out my buddy Keri @hikelikeagirl on Instagram!

It shouldn't surprise anyone that I was constantly coming up with Lord of the Rings references throughout this adventure.

  • Sunday: 12.02 miles / 8:59 pace.
Sent my buddy this selfie halfway through my run, since he was with a group of bikers heading my way. Lucky me, we met for beer and food at Redhook after our workouts.


Total Distance: 16.02
Average Pace: 8:49 per mile


Last Week's Goals:
  1. Monday/Tuesday: Focus on preparing for Tuesday's end of the year event. I'm not going to worry about getting my workouts in until Wednesday. (Hahaha... or THURSDAY!)
  2. Wednesday: 5 miles. Thursday: yoga and/or 3-4 miles. Sunday: 10-12 miles. (Close.)
  3. Go on a hike! (Done and done!)

Goals for Upcoming Week:
  1. Yoga twice (I've got two more sessions to use up by the 14th).
  2. Run 10 on Saturday.
  3. Father's Day hike with my family.
  4. STAY AWAY FROM THE CLASS PARTY SNACKS!


What happens when life makes you miss your workouts? Do you stress about it or just let it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment